Blog Journal 1

Teachers are influenced to use technology in the classroom by certain initiatives directed nationally and state-wide which REQUIRE them to use and be efficient in working with technology, but also personal interest in programs like Engrade, to help grading, which leads to an easier experience in school. Students are influenced basically by their own interest in learning. Their knowledge of certain programs, like Geogebra, reinforces the idea that learning can be accessed through games and not through traditionally boring lectures. 

ISTE has been put in place and maintained by the federal government in order to ensure that everyone within the educational sphere meets what is required to use technology efficiently within the classroom. One standard that is meaningful to me is the first standard, to "facilitate and inspire student learning and creativity." This is because in my experience as a student, I feel that teachers view the curriculum as black and white, and therefore teach it as so, foregoing any creativity. The sharpest minds are those with creative thinking, so if we implement ways to enhance student learning and creativity, we will be creating a better future overall. One standard that seems out of my current skill set is the last, which is to "engage in professional growth and leadership." Since I am only a student, I don't have the knowledge or experience to be a professional or an appropriate leader. 

I think the term "digital native" applies nicely to today's youth. Speaking for all late 1990's babies, I think it's fair to assume we all grew up playing games on websites, and getting flip phones in elementary school. As we age, we also notice the 2010's babies learning on and operating tablets and consoles with ease at an even younger age than when we began. The differences between digital natives and immigrants revolve around speed, and patience. Natives have been accustomed to working with technology through good and bad, and are able to handle it faster and at a lower stress level than immigrants should a problem occur, which makes it hard for anyone to learn. In the future, I can see nothing but positive outcomes. With students and teachers on the same basic level of understanding, the classroom should become a place where learning and technology work in harmony.

Comments

  1. I agree with your assessment of the differences between natives and immigrants but your optimism about the future of digital native and immigrants. As we interact with the younger generations, our generation begins to become the immigrants of technology. The only way to keep a connection with our future students will be to immerse ourselves in their culture and use the newest technology.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Journal 2